17 January 2007

Think of it as a Hammond B3 with strings...

The words bleeted out of most guitarist's mouths I have shown of my future partner in musical crime are: "What the hell is that?"

I thought it's obvious, but it seems not. So I thought I would share it with you guys, as you will no doubt be hearing many tales of joy and woe about my love/hate affair with this beast!

So, the grand unveiling of the custom buitar guitar I have lusted over for many many years, currently packed away tightly in an aircraft fuselage. Most likely along side a collection of moody Luis' (Vuittons) and some parent's suitcase that they've had since the 70's (Tan leather no doubt!):



The guitar is hand made by Wes Lambe in NC, USA. The strings are tuned E-A-D-a-d-g-b-e (Capitals are bass strings, lower-case are electric guitar strings). What does this mean!? Well it means I can play the parts of the guitar and bass simultaneously. Thus taking double the wage at gigs!? I can dream. For the musically retarded, this means I can take the place in a regular band of the person that shows off who gets all the girls and the fat or lanky guy at the back that plays the big guitar who really doesn't look interested in what's going on at all!

So, after probably 8 years of wanting a guitar styled after
Charlie Hunter's
8 string I am finally to get my hands on one!

Never has a week been so excruciatingly long. Not since Miss Lewis was off for a week and we had some awful substitute teacher who insisted in telling us stories of how her son died for being driven over by a steam roller! Oh Miss Lewis, how the boys in the class missed you.

No comments: