18 January 2007

Thelonious? No, not that one...

People always ask me about my playing and who I am influenced by. I can spout name after name of people that inspire me to play better or differently. This list however might as well be taught verbatim to a point to all jazz/funk/fusion players; Jaco, Larry, Bootsy, Stanley, Marcus...However, there is a new addition. One that I didn't even really know about 4 months ago.

Can we all please welcome the bass player with the coolest middle name in the world to my list. Fred Thelonious Baker (He just had to become a jazz musician really didn't he!?).

I find it hard to believe that Fred has done so much amazing work in the past (solo and with Incahoots in particular), but he is virtually unknown. Which is a great shame. So, as part of my musical learnings journey over the next four years I hope to bring you many Fred-isms...

To begin here are a couple of brief videos of Fred playing a couple of his namesakes tunes (apologies for the poor quality of sound and video, obviously my sony ericsson doesn't appreciate good music like I do!) I will try and get a few decent recordings from Fred at some point.

These videos were rushed during my lesson today as I hoped that if I had a record of them it would help me learn them. I hope you can appreciate the vast musicianship that these rushed perfomances contain, even though.






PS. thats my bass, but I can't make it sounds just like that yet!

Join my RSS feed for updates on how it feels to be a jazz musician at the very beginning of his musical mission and videos of other great Jazz musicians that I come into contact with.

2 comments:

James Swallow said...

Lovely stuff.

How do I make my blog nice and skinny like yours?

Anonymous said...

Very nice stuff but unfortunately the image and the sound quality are really bad so we cannot really enjoy the sound and the great lesson that it could provide to many bass players.

You have a great playing and I'm sure lots of players would love to learn with your videos !

I suppose you use a cheap Webcam ? Can't you try to borrow a camescope the quality will be much better !

You can check some of my vids on youtube
http://youtube.com/profile?user=jipes