30 June 2007

Sorry it has been a while...

Well I didn't realise it has been so long since I last posted, but the end of my 1st year studying jazz was more hectic than I thought it would be! So not much 8 string time, but lots of fretless and double bass on the go. Which is why I am really here I suppose!?

I'll probably do a few more posts about what I learnt this year both from the tutors and maybe more importantly, my fellow students.

As an apology here is the first section of Spanish Joint by D'Angelo, with Charlie Hunter of course on guitar/bass duties. It was on D'Angelo's album Voodoo. Check out the rest of the album as Pino Palladino plays the dirtiest hip hop bass you have ever heard from a Welsh man!

This is one of my favourite Hunter grooves to play and it is actually quite simple. Which is a bonus. Get a drummer with a fat snare behind you and this part really grooves.

Hopefully this will keep you going enough these next few sunny(!) summer days until I get in the blogging flow again. (I am actually meant to be packing to move house, but I found laying out my transcription for this tune much more satisfying!)

Until next time...
D'Angelo - Spanish Joint 8 String
Preview this track in iTunes USA:
D'Angelo - Voodoo - Spanish Joint
Preview this track in iTunes UK:
D'angelo - Voodoo - Spanish Joint

No comments: