15 February 2007

Fancy a pint down the Battle Cruiser!

Firstly, a question: I am putting tab with the 8 string transcriptions aswell, but would you also like to see recommended left hand fingerings? (i.e. should I play the bass nite with 1st or 2nd finger) or is this obvious enough or easy enough for people to work out? Let me know and I can go back and amend the sheets or just start doing this from now on. Or even if you are having serious issues with a piece ask me. I should have time to explain in detail a bit more how I play it.

Other ideas welcome...midi files? audio? video demonstrations? If I can do it, I will give it a go if it is going to help the new 8 stringers out there.

Moving on, for those in the world that may not know Cockney rhyming slang, a 'Battle Cruiser' is another way of saying 'Boozer' or pub. A place where many evenings and weekends are wasted while supping a nice cool alcoholic beverage or ten! This also happens to be the title of the next piece I am putting up for you:

Boozer - John Scofield (8 String)
Boozer - John Scofield (Lead Sheet)
Preview this track in the USA:
John Scofield - A Go Go - Boozer
Preview this track in the UK:
John Scofield - A Go Go - Boozer



I promise I will start doing more songs of other albums soon, it's just I really do like these grooves. I have now played then with the keyboardist from my organ 'trio!?', and he still can't get over the fact that it sounds like two people playing the parts. So if you are struggling, keep working at it. The results will be worth it.

Sorry it's been a few days since the last post, but I have been practicing really hard on the 8. I came across a book called 'Pedal exercises for the electronic organ' by Rimac Hinter in my local library and I have been trying to apply some of them to the 8 string, with mixed results. What better way to imitate organ players, than actually learning how they did! When i get at least a sheet of these exercises workable I will put them up, as I know a few people just want some easy parts and shapes to get under their fingers, rather than the mass-syncopation of some of the tunes I have put up! :)

Until next time...

No comments: