22 February 2007

Hurry up and wait...

I have started putting a repertoire together for a jazz/funk organ "trio" (Organ, Drums and me on 8 string) and decided I would love to do a few Soulive tunes.

So over the past couple of days my keys player has been working on the first track on Soulive's Doin Something album. We went over a few bits of it today and I have came up with this transcription. There may be a couple of errors in the bass part, but it is really hard to hear what the organ is doig sometimes.

It is only in lead sheet format as I can't work out a decent 8 string fingering for the B section (A and C work fine), but I am sure a few of you will want to play this tune with some of your bands. I may just have to give in and just play the guitar part on B and let the organ take the bass, but to paraphrase what Monk once said to Coltrane: "As long are you have an instrument in your mouth, anything is possible!"

Hurry Up And Wait... - Lead Sheet

Preview this track in iTunes USA:
Soulive - Doin' Something - Hurry Up...And Wait
Preview this track in iTunes UK:
Soulive - Doin' Something - Hurry Up... And Wait

No comments: